Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Brandon's Funeral

The loss of a loved one is not something that I take very lightly. I lost my dad when I was 10 years old, at a time when I really needed him. But, I believe that the Lord works in odd ways, and somehow, that made my life better. I can see that where I am today, because of what has happened in the past, has made me a better person, and made it easier to relate to others.

Just recently, we had a tragedy happen at Springville High. One of our football players, Brandon Curtis, was involved in a rollover accident after football practice in the parking lot at our school. A group of boys (all of which I know) were doing donuts in a Jeep Liberty, and one sharper than the rest turn ended in the pinning of Brandon under the top of the vehicle. He was in critical condition, and later died from his injuries. The other 3 boys recovered and were fine.

This brings me to the topic. I attended Brandon's funeral today, which was very well done. There was only standing room in the Funeral hall. The chapel and overflow into the Cultural hall was more people than I have ever even seen for a Stake Conference. The talks were wonderful, and many people mourned.

I am so thankful to know that I will have eternal life. I know that Brandon was freed from this ever down-spiraling world, and is now able to serve the Lord in the Spirit World. Brandon will now serve his mission, not on earth, but above.

Death is a hard thing to grasp. It is hard for us, as simple minded beings, to comprehend loss. Even for me, it seems unreal sometimes, that such a great man is gone from the earth. It will be hard to not see his bright smiling face in the halls.

President Thomas S. Monson said this about death:

"Among all the facts of mortality, none is so certain as its end. Death comes to all; it is our “universal heritage; it may claim its victim[s] in infancy or youth, [it may visit] in the period of life’s prime, or its summons may be deferred until the snows of age have gathered upon the . . . head; it may befall as the result of accident or disease, . . . or . . . through natural causes; but come it must.” It inevitably represents a painful loss of association and, particularly in the young, a crushing blow to dreams unrealized, ambitions unfulfilled, and hopes vanquished"

I know that the Lord had reason for Brandon to be taken from us here on earth at this time. Brandon has work to do elsewhere. As for his work here, it is done, and the Lord will greet him in saying:

"Well done, thou good and faithful servant"

I have a testimony of eternal life and of Forever Families. I know, even though I was not sealed to my father, that the Lord will work all things out when the time comes. I know that the Curtis family will be with Brandon again. The heavens will be brighter because Brandon is up there smiling.

There is a song that I really like that comforts me, especially in this time of trial:

My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee

Text and Music by Rob Gardner

For a little while
Have I forsaken thee;
But with great mercies will I gather thee.
In a little wrath I hid my face from thee
For a moment.

But with everlasting kindness will I gather thee,
And with mercy will I take thee ‘neath my wings,
For the mountains shall depart,
And the hills shall be removed,
And the valleys shall be lost beneath the sea,
But know, my child,
My kindness shall not depart from thee!

Though thine afflictions seem
At times too great to bear,
I know thine every thought and every care.
And though the very jaws
Of hell gape after thee I am with thee.

And with everlasting mercy will I succor thee,
And with healing will I take thee ‘neath my wings.
Though the mountains shall depart,
And the hills shall be removed,
And the valleys shall be lost beneath the sea,
Know, my child,
My kindness shall not depart from thee!

How long can rolling waters
Remain impure?
What pow'r shall stay the hand of God?
The Son of Man hath descended below all things.
Art thou greater than He?

So hold on thy way,
For I shall be with thee.
And mine angels shall encircle thee.
Doubt not what thou knowest,
Fear not man, for he
Cannot hurt thee.

And with everlasting kindness will I succor thee,
And with mercy will I take thee ‘neath my wings.
For the mountains shall depart,
And the hills shall be removed,
And the valleys shall be lost beneath the sea,
But know, my child,
My kindness shall not depart from thee!

Rest in Peace Brandon, You deserve it!



No comments:

Post a Comment